Big Light

I know many of us have had opinions regarding the marketing and release date of the movie, but when it comes down to it, they did give us a $30 million present (not including the additional ad costs). I would love to have funded the production of the film myself, but I was just slightly shy of that $30 million mark in my bank account. I know it wasn’t done altruistically—they intend to make money off of this project, and they will. However, I would like to take this opportunity to write to two Fox executives and thank them for getting this movie made and getting it into theaters.

Edited to add Michael Broidy-- Frank's recommendation over at Fox. Show him some love!

Michael Broidy
20th Century Fox
10201 W. Pico Blvd.
Bldg. 88, Room 344
Los Angeles, CA 90035
USA

Steve Asbell
Twentieth Century Fox
10201 West Pico Blvd.,
Bldg. 88, Room 132
Los Angeles, CA 90035

Chris Aronson
Twentieth Century Fox
10201 West Pico Blvd.,
Bldg. 86, Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90035

Steve Asbell is the Fox exec that lobbied to get this film made (Frank mentioned him during LAFF). Remember all those times when we thought we’d never see a Mulder and Scully story again? Well, Steve believed that we would, and he delivered. He kept the project alive regardless of the business complications, and I’m going to thank him for giving me one more chance to experience these amazing characters.

Chris Aronson is someone many of you have heard from in recent days. He is an SVP in distribution at Fox, and he has been watching. He has noted our reactions, and he knows that for many fans, this movie is a dream come true. Chris’ team got this movie into theaters. We’d like it to stay there a while. So, I’m going to thank him for the work he has done, and to let him know that he was right—this “hardcore” fan is really happy.

I’d like to invite (cajole) you to do the same. It doesn’t have to be a long letter. It can be as simple as: Thank you for making and distributing “The X-Files: I Want to Believe”. I’d include your name, your location in the world and your age at the bottom of your note (demographics are always helpful). If you want to include your reviews of the movie, do it! If you want to attach one of the published reviews, do it! Be heard! They should know if you are happy to have this experience because they were integral to the process.

The studios are used to getting dumped on—and I’m not saying that the studios shouldn’t hear complaints. But this one time, I’d like them to know how grateful I am for giving me this gift of a movie.

Some FAQ on this:

1. Why snail mail?
Because we want it to actually get to these people, and envelopes on a desk make a greater impact. Ten emails can get categorized as spam and ignored when going into the general Fox movies email address. Ten letters mean people made an extra effort, and they are harder to ignore. Clearly, I hope more than 10 are sent. :)

2. What if English is not my native language?
I don’t think that’s a problem. Don’t worry about perfection—just be heard. Also, you could write “Thank You” at the top of your note and then the rest in whatever language you want. They’ll get the idea.

3. Does it have to be long?
No. If all you want to do is identify the movie and say “thank you”, I think that’s fine.

4. Will there be a template letter to just print out, sign and mail?
We can do that. Anyone want to volunteer to write a template letter?

5. Are we keeping track of numbers?
I’d love to try to do that. If you can just message me here at Big Light (or post in a reply) and let me know if you’ve sent a thank you letter that would be great. If you want to email me and let me know, you can at katedating@yahoo.com.

6. How will this help the box office?
I’m not suggesting that you stop your other efforts to get people into seats. I’m not going into this with my eyes on a prize of another film—although providing positive feedback wouldn’t be a detriment. This is an effort to say thank you.

7. Is this just for US fans?
No way! I have this great image of people from all over the world sending letters.

8. Can I post this initiative on other boards?
Yes!!!! Please, go forth and post. Many people from here have talked about doing this. I know I’ve talked to Cari and Jen and Alison and Karen and Ericka and and Liz and (wait, this is starting to sound like Romper Room). I’d love for as many people as possible to know about this and participate. If similar efforts are already underway elsewhere, let us know so we can join them!

Thanks!!

Tags: Believe, Fox, I, Thank, Want, fans, letters, to, you

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much, Kate! I'll be sure to send a letter when I get the chance :)

I've posted this on another X-Files forum, Newspace XPhile Forum.
I love it, Kate! Let's do this. I'll type something up and put it in the mail tomorrow. Maybe I'll illustrate my letter with Mulder and Scully doodles so they know I spent some time on it. Maybe I'm giving this too much thought. Haha.
I've posted this over at troll central, IMDB but there are real fans there as well. Put up some info at GA's message board as well.
How's the response to this outside of Big Light so far?
People are pretty positive from what I've seen, but I've only been over to the Haven (the moderators created a "sticky" thread so it stays at the top, which was really nice of them). They've started writing, and posting their thoughts. One person did suggest that template letters don't get quite as much attention as one line personal notes, which makes sense.

Alison Groves said:
How's the response to this outside of Big Light so far?
LMAO! I think they will love the illustrations.

Cari said:
I love it, Kate! Let's do this. I'll type something up and put it in the mail tomorrow. Maybe I'll illustrate my letter with Mulder and Scully doodles so they know I spent some time on it. Maybe I'm giving this too much thought. Haha.

Thanks, Marita! I didn't even know about that forum.

Marita_Covarrubias said:

Laurie, you are very brave! But I know that IMDB gets a lot of attention, so that's great!

Laurie said:
I've posted this over at troll central, IMDB but there are real fans there as well. Put up some info at GA's message board as well.
Hey Kate, where do you want me to post? I can ask over at XFU and XFN, and the XF LiveJournal community. Have you hit those yet?

Kate said:
LMAO! I think they will love the illustrations.

Cari said:

Thanks, Marita! I didn't even know about that forum.

Marita_Covarrubias said:

Laurie, you are very brave! But I know that IMDB gets a lot of attention, so that's great!

Laurie said:
WONDERFUL IDEA!!!
I'm on it. I'm going to post on fan forum as well.
Sending my letter out today...in a pretty XF banner I made.
Cari, you can never give it too much thought, lol.
Cari and Karen,
Oooh definitely, go forth and post to those forums!!! I think it might be quite a pleasant shock when Fox actually gets thank you letters rather than complaints (we'll save those for later). :)

I want to see the banners!
Yes, definitely, I think so too and we mean some serious business here!
I'll upload the banners when I get home :D

Kate said:
Cari and Karen,
Oooh definitely, go forth and post to those forums!!! I think it might be quite a pleasant shock when Fox actually gets thank you letters rather than complaints (we'll save those for later). :)

I want to see the banners!
Okay I'm gonna write my letter today and send it out. I heard from Agent Extremis that fans at XFU are also coming up with different ideas to thank CC, FS, GA, & DD but I also think the idea could work for the studio as well. Here is the link:

http://www.xfilesultimate.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4541
Ok, I printed my two letters and included pictures of my new XF tattoo (and the image from the credits I stole the idea from, for comparison), and as soon as I get home I'm sticking them in the mailbox. That's one letter to each of them from me! How many are we up to?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Birthdays

Latest Activity

traumcave replied to traumcave's discussion Decades of X: 90s vs. post-2001 (2012)
"also this "
Mar 28
traumcave replied to traumcave's discussion Decades of X: 90s vs. post-2001 (2012)
"Kimon, did you see this part of the SDCC 2013? http://youtu.be/cqTtGpiw_Z8?t=46m40s Q:Do you think those (wolrd) dynamics would change how you write or would have written the show? CC: Yes. (...) I think, that if The X-Files would come back…"
Mar 28
Marina commented on Marina's photo
Thumbnail

Photoshoot 5 (3)

"I had a poster with this picture on my wall :) I even tried to draw them but I'm not that talented so I failed :D"
Dec 9, 2013
Erin Blair commented on Marina's photo
Thumbnail

Photoshoot 5 (3)

"This was one of my favorite photoshoots of them. :)"
Dec 5, 2013

© 2014   Created by Big Light.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service